North Central Land Grant Colleges and Universities
The Land Grant schools are federally designated special mission institutions dedicated to developing applied research and outreach systems to meet the needs of local communities. Originally established in 1862, the Land Grant system has been expanded several times. In 1890, legislation included historically black colleges and universities. Lincoln University in Missouri is the region’s only 1890 school. In 1994, the system expanded to include certain tribal colleges. In 2008, federally designated Hispanic colleges were added.